Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tomato Soup, and the gift of food

Lunch today is: Tomato Soup! Now, I hate canned tomato soup like Campbell's. It's one of those things that I want to like, because it seems so cozy and perfect to have tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch on a cold day, and I've tried it, but it's just gross! I don't like ketchup, and to me it was like drinking warm ketchup. But homemade tomato soup that's easy to make and doesn't use fresh tomatoes (which are NASTY unless you get them in season locally), sounded like it might turn out to be what I have always been hoping for in Campbell's.

By the way, you see why I created this food blog?? I have some very strong opinions...

I used leftover chopped onion and red bell pepper for the vegetables in this soup; I didn't have celery and I simply forgot the carrot. I didn't have basil, but it's great without and would be good with it too, but I wouldn't buy it just for this recipe. For the optional heavy cream, I added a splash (maybe 1/4 cup) of half and half. It says to use an immersion blender but I used the regular ol' blender - if you do this remember to take off the removable piece from the blender top!! Cover the hole with a towel loosely and let the steam out. Just ask my sister what happens if you forget to to this.... Let's just say you'll be cleaning soup off the ceiling and ordering a new lid that afternoon...

Homemade Tomato Soup
recipe from Michael Chiarello on foodtv.com


1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup heavy cream, optional

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.

OK, now to my gift! THIS was dessert last night: A frozen peanut butter pie, courtesy of my friend Pepsi! It was sooooo good and I'm about to go get a piece right now since I'm thinking about it! I told Erol about it at dinner and he could hardly wait for it, then once we got home he was kinda dancing around me asking when I was going to cut him a slice. This was my text to Pepsi while we were eating it: "Wow we both want to dive into this pie!" It was light and fluffy in texture and tasted like pure peanut butter heaven.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

That WAS a good pie!