Thursday, October 9, 2008

Classic Pot Roast

From the "All-Purpose Cookbook": Joy of Cooking! I love this cookbook. I googled this recipe so I might copy and paste the recipe (I cheat, I know), and didn't find it, but found a really cool blog that seems kinda similar to mine (as in lots of crazy pictures of each step): The Joy of the Joy of Cooking. Definitely gonna have to check that one out more later, I only glanced through.

So this recipe is for your basic pot roast, nothing extraordinary but very delicious and exactly what you want pot roast to be. You never know where inspiration is going to come from, and I got the idea to make this for dinner from the show Desperate Housewives last week; there were several references to pot roast and it sounded good to me!

Beef Pot Roast
from Joy of Cooking


3 to 4 lb chuck, shoulder, top or bottom round, brisket, blade or rump
Flour
2 T. vegetable oil
1 carrot
1 rib celery
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 small onion
2 cups vegetable stock or part stock and part dry red wine
1 bay leaf

Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy stockpot. Dredge the meat in flour and brown on all sides. Roughly chop the carrot, celery, green pepper and onion, and add to the pot when the meat is about halfway browned. When the meat is browned, spoon off excess fat and add the stock (or stock and wine) and bay leaf. Cover and bake 3-4 hours in a 300-325 degree oven, or simmer on the stove. During this time, turn the meat several times and, if necessary, add hot vegetable stock and salt and/or pepper.

I made this one day to have for dinner the next - I let the big pot cool a bit after cooking and then just stuck it in the fridge, and the next day I took out the meat and cut a few slices, just what we'd eat that night. I put the slices in a small saucepan with some juice from the large pot and heated it up on the stove.

I served it with little potatoes that I cut and roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest and rosemary. Usually I think of potatoes as something that takes a long time to cook, but I cut them small and under the broiler they took just a few minutes. Just enough time to heat up the pot roast.

I added a new tag called "DINNER" and will go back and add that to the appropriate recipes to make searching for dinner ideas easier on this blog.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I just saw the link--thanks for coming to my blog and I really like yours ;) I'm big on pictures--esp when your cooking out of a cookbook that is picture-free (I never know if what I produce is what the recipe is supposed to look like!).

Mommy said...

Okay I think you cheated and got this out of Mrs Van de Camp's cookbook. You know I was there for her book signing right? laughs! So have you ever cheated and tried this in a crockpot? Or are you anti crockpot? I could see you being anti crockpot...it takes the fun out of cooking.

Jamie said...

I've used the crock pot once to make a "roast" but you do have my number, I'm not the biggest fan! Haha! They work great and turn out good, easy dinners, but I like to be in control in my kitchen, not some contraption. (You knew I'd say that, didn't ya?!) However, I like the crock pot for things like mulled wine or queso dip!

Mommy said...

So Pot Roast is one of my favorites and I've never had it homemade. The next time we do a food swap, I will beg you to make this for me. I should have just asked you for some...oops!