Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rosemary Butter Cookies

If my condo was burning down, I would grab the magazine this recipe is in. Once I thought I lost it, and I almost lost IT! I would have written to the Martha Stewart company begging for a replacement.

Anyway, I make these cookies every year for Thanksgiving. My mom and sister would have me disinvited if I didn't bring them! Rosemary is an unusual ingredient for cookies, I know, but if you like the scent of rosemary you will LOVE these cookies. They are incredibly good. And with the sugar on the the outside, they remind me of those tins of butter cookies, just homemade, and with a twist. I saw my baggie of rosemary from my parents' yard in the fridge and couldn't think of anything else to make but these.

When you roll the logs of dough, make them quite skinny so you will have cute small cookies. I use Turbinado sugar (or Sugar in the Raw) instead of sanding sugar since it's much cheaper and very good. Rosemary Butter Cookies
recipe from Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies magazine, 2006

Makes about 5 dozen

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup fine sanding sugar


Put butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in whole egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, rosemary, and salt, and mix until combined.
Halve dough; shape each half into a log. Place each log on a 12-by-16-inch sheet of parchment. Roll in parchment to 1 1/2 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log. Transfer to paper-towel tubes to hold shape, and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375. Brush each log with egg white; roll in sanding sugar. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake until edges are golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Store in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

No comments: