Monday, September 29, 2008

Challah Bread: A Success!

These are the pictures in Martha's book with her recipe for challah:
And this is my challah:Not too bad, right! Despite problems with my sneaky oven, I was happy with how my bread came out. It was heavy, dense, eggy, and had a nice soft texture inside and a really nice crust that was as dark as a soft pretzel.

My oven has a mind of it's own and often cranks its self way the heck up to 500+ degrees. I think it gets out of whack and doesn't shut off the heat to regulate the temperature. This is one reason why I sometimes use the AirBake baking sheets, which buys me a little time before the burning happens, and one reason why I despise non-stick bakeware which always burns my food in my oven! Also, I am a fan of baby birds, so that's another reason I don't like that stuff. Non-stick baking sheets, loaf pans, muffin tins, etc, are a waste of time, unhealthy for you and the environment, and I recommend never using them. To avoid sticking I use a Silpat (if you don't have one, ask for one for Christmas!), or parchment paper on standard-sized good quality sheet pans, and properly oil, butter and flour the bakeware when necessary. I use nonstick pans on the stove only when really necessary and never heat them while empty, never broil with them, and try to avoid using them on a high flame.

I will post Martha's recipe here, and my pictures of my challah baking adventure, when I have time soon so check back! I have so much to catch up on!!

4 comments:

Mommy said...

Okay, need to post something that I can do with ALL my chocolate pudding in my refrigerator...unless you want me to give it all to you so you can make us a pie (hint, hint). Laughs!

Jamie said...

Do you have Oreo's at home? (if not I know you're going to Target today!!) Grind up a row and a half of Oreos in the food processor till finely ground, then add 1/2 a stick of butter and grind up till it's incorporated. Press this into a buttered pie dish and bake at 350 for 5 minutes. Cool completely and then add the pudding, and voila!

Robyn said...

I love Challah Bread! My sister is jewish, so I got my recipe from her and I love making it! Greatest bread for French Toast! I have a Creme Brulee French Toast
Recipe that is AWESOME! I'll have to share it with you! :)

Jamie said...

Robyn please send it to me - that sounds fabulous! I think in another life I was Jewish, I really like the traditions and everything I know about it (except don't they eat pickled fish or something like that? I'm not into that.) LOL!